Follow Me!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Been A Long Time.....

...I shouldn't have left you without a dope beat to step to. Step to. Step to. Step to..


How many of yall caught that song reference? Ha ha.



After well over a month of not posting, I am back lovelies! I didn't intend to stay gone for so long but between school and the general lack of give damn I had a bout my hair.....there really wasn't much for me to post. Unless you guys would have liked to hear about how I threw my hair into a lazy bun again, I think it was best for me to stay away. Anyway, this post is just to update you guys on some things that have happened during my hiatus.


---The bun challenge ended on the 1st day of summer (back in June). In terms of retention, I feel like my hair retained growth a little bit (meaning: I was more MBL instead of a little MBL) BUT between getting my hair blown out TWICE and getting a trim...yall wouldn't be able to see much of a difference. However, when I straighten my hair again or when I relax again (whichever comes first), I promise, promise, PROMISE I will thrown in the obligatory length check for you guys.



--- A few months back I posted about a Dominican salon here in Birmingham as referenced in this post. An experience happened to me there where I feel that I would be remiss if I did not share the experience with you guys. I like to give my readers as much info as I possibly can so that way, they can make their own decisions.

Anyway...

One weekend, I was feeling incredibly lazy and decided to get my hair blown out. So, I carried myself to the Dominican Salon in Homewood. This visit started routinely enough: got my hair washed, conditioned, and prepped for the blow out. There was quite a wait but I went to the salon at the height of the day so that was expected. When it was finally my turn for the blowout, I was assigned to an older woman (named Maria, I think. She is the mother of the owner) whose station was dead center. This woman, gets to work blowing out my hair. Wouldn't you know it, the woman had that hot ass blowdryer thisclose to my damn scalp! Of course it was unbelievable pain and I was flinching and crying out in pain, telling this woman not to put the blow dryer so close to my scalp. All she replied with was "Mami, it's gonna be afro if I don't. Sorry" So naturally my ass kept flinching and crying out in pain (which the stylist to my left and the another worker in the salon noted). One of the workers tried to tell chick that i'm obviously in pain. So this chick tells me to relax and close my eyes. I tell her (via a translator) that it doesn't matter if I close my eyes, if she keeps getting to close to my scalp, it will still hurt. I tried to relax but since I didn't close my eyes, chick lost her ish, slammed the blow dryer down, walked away and proceeded to talk about me in Spanish (which I understood every word. Just because I can't formulate a response in Spanish doesn't mean I don't understand). So me, the stylist to my left, and the worker that translated for me stood there looking pretty dumbfounded. I was like 'Really? Because I won't close my eyes?" I could not believe it. I was floored. I have never in all my days been witness to such unprofessionalism. I vowed never to go back. If I'm going to pay $50 for a blowout, I'm going to a salon where they are professional, speak English, and don't talk about their clients in another language (I actually have a review of a salon that I need to post).

However, if you are in the Birmingham area and still want to go to the Dominican salon in Homewood, request Josefina (sp?). That was the stylist that I had during the visit in my review of the salon. Do not, do not, DO NOT get your hair blown out by Maria (the older chick who wears glasses and occupies the center station), especially if you are natural or stretching. She will not do right by your hair. In fact, during my first visit, one client (who was natural) told me not to let that chick touch my hair because she wouldn't do right by it. I should have listened but hindsight is 20/20.

Also, just for future reference, if anyone who is blowing out your hair has to put a hot ass blowdryer that close to your scalp so 'it won't be an Afro,' they don't know what the eff they are doing. Politely get up in run from their chair.

Whooooo...I'm getting mad just thinking about that situation.

Anyway lovelies, I'm back and ready to post!

What has been new with you?

2 comments:

  1. I've had a similar experience. They don't appreciate our natural texture. Lol @them your intro! Pics please! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't believe the unprofessionalism. I was floored. smh.

      Delete