Follow Me!

Sunday, June 7, 2015

My Unofficially Officially Transitioning Hair Plan




I've been doing a lot of thinking lately.


I've stated that I'm not really desiring a relaxer (and probably won't) so that puts me on the path of transitioning.


However, I don't have clear plan of what I want to do or how to get there.


Right now, I am currently 5 months post. Which really just feels like a long relaxer stretch to me. To get me through the last couple of months, I have been doing twist outs like they are going out of style (I REALLY like twist outs y'all). To guide me with actually handling my hair, I just follow the things that my mother did with my hair when I was a little girl--mainly only combing my hair when wet and keeping it moisturized (seriously, my mom did this. It's the reason why I didn't get a relaxer until I begged for one in middle school. My mom was really my first example in working with my hair and not against it). So far, everything is working out great.

Then I think of the first time I called myself transitioning. Yep it happened. Right at the start of my hair journey. All I knew was my hair was unhealthy and relaxers had a role in that. By month 8, I was back to relaxers. I had no clue on how to handle my hair, let alone 2 different textures. I had even less of a clue on how to style it. I was used to my hair being straight, so I was trying to beat my new growth into straight submission and using a TON of heat. All those years ago, I knew what I wanted to do but had no idea on how to get there so I went back to what I knew.


This go 'round, I think I am in a better position to transition. I tend to wear my hair in more curly styles than straight (the last time my flat iron got used was in February I think). If my hair isn't out, I know to bun it, wig it, or do something protective. I know that I have to modify my products to meet my hair's changing needs and I have a resource for potential products to try (LHCF, other blogs, etc.), and I am becoming versed in how to handle the 2 textures. Ultimately, I think that 7 years after failed transition, I am able to approach this as a "I just don't feel like relaxing anymore" scenario vs a "my hair is breaking off like crazy, let me try this natural thing but I have no clue what to do" scenario.

Hope that makes sense.

Now that I have the tools, I want to come up with a plan.

Right now, I want to transition for at least a year and a half. I know that whenever I cut those last relaxed ends off, I want some hair to work with. I'm thinking that once I get past month 8 (which was the month I went back to relaxers in the past), I will get my first trim. I'll then trim quarterly after that.

While I love my twist outs, I do want to hide my hair for the summer. So, 2 weeks from now, I will be getting box braids which should last me until mid-August (2 months). I'll then wear my own hair out for 2 or 3 weeks (I still want to get to know my hair) and get another set of braids that will last me until November. After that set of braids, I'll wig it up (with Outre Tammy, of course) until the New Year. This plan will bring me to 1 year post relaxer. And that's about how far I can plan out right now. In December, I figure out what I want to do for the remaining months of my transition. Right now I'm just concerned about getting through the year.

I'll be continuing with my regimen: wash, protein treatment, DC weekly as that seems to be working for my hair. I will adjust my products as needed so that they can meet the needs of my transitioning hair.


This is just a rough draft of what I want to do. For those who are transitioning or have transitioned: what do you think? Am I leaving anything out? What are your suggestions for a easy transition?





10 comments:

  1. I am too considering transitioning. My hair was under processed at this new salon the relaxer was out of my hair within two weeks but it left my hair really thick and I have been wearing twist outs and braids outs like crazy. I love it. But the only thing I am not use too is the shedding. I literally only finger comb my hair. I have tried black tea and coffee rinses. Do you have have shedding or has it increased during your transitioning period/stretch? What do you use to combat it?

    I'll be watching your blog for more transitioning ideas since I am a newbie. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I'm finding that there isn't any difference in the amount of shedding that I have. So I really haven't tried to look for methods to combat it :(

      Delete
  2. All the best in the transition. Keep the length as that will see you through days you can't find time to style then hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel you when you say you've been a lot of thinking. I have also found myself re-evaluating my hair. I am 15 weeks post-relaxer and although I still want to relax my hair, I need to see a reason why I should.
    Good luck in your transitioning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best on this new journey, I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your transition. I am also thinking about transitioning again. For right now I'm playing by ear and my hair is doing great.

    ReplyDelete