Follow Me!

Monday, December 28, 2009

Same Hair+Different Length=Same Lessons?

Hey everyone!

I hope you all had a very merry Christmas! I know I did....

Anyway, for the holidays, I went back home to Virginia and I had to change my hair regimen dramatically. As some of you may know, not only did it snow here 2 weeks ago but it is incredibly cold! So now I have to up the moisture ante so to speak for the time being. I'm also realizing that when I depart from my regimen, I don't really get the same results as before.

The first thing I did was start to pre-poo my hair again. I did this at the start of my journey but for some reason I just stopped. So before I washed my hair, I put a mixture of HE Hydralicious Reconditioning Conditioner (in the purple-ish bottle) and EVOO into my hair. I then sat under a heat cap for 30min to an hour. When I rinsed it out, my hair felt so soft! My hair really liked this extra kick of moisture. My hair still felt soft after I washed it too!

Another thing I have to do is up the protein in my hair especially when I straighten it. One thing I constantly did when I first cut my hair was deep condition. I would do a moisture DC mid-week and a protein DC on Saturday or Sunday. My hair thrived off of this and I saw very very minimal breakage despite the barrage of heat I put on my hair. As my hair grew, I got a little lax on the deep conditioning (meaning: I would still DC but only 1x a week). Now that I think of it, I think my hair thrives more with the frequent deep conditioning. It stays moisturized and strong!

Finally, I don't think I will ever air dry then flat iron again! My hair just didn't respond to it at all! My ends were just rough and terrible looking.....a definite difference from how my hair normally responds. I can air dry for anything else but this, for me, is a no go.

Well, that is it. Sorry this was a little long winded but a lot has happened! I guess the main point is: if what you are doing works, stick with it! Don't try to jazz it up or modify it...do what works! Your hair will thank you for it :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharday,

    What are you using to have soft, smooth ends? Try as I might, after my whole regi (pre-poo, co-wash, DC, and extra HE Long Term Relationship on the ends); they always end feeling "crunchier" than the rest of the hair. They're not split ends, I've checked, but I don't what else I could do?

    Thank you again,
    Life in a Shoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm..you might want to try porosity control. My hair stays relatively smooth b/c I use porosity control after every DC. Your ends might not be holding on to moisture as well as they should. I think that porosity control can help with that.

    Also...do you clarify often? If you're using a lot of products with cones in them, they may be causing build up on your hair so moisture isn't able to get to them as well.

    The only other thing I can think of is that your ends don't like the HE LTR. You might want to find another moisturizer (e.g. ORS Carrot Oil). When ends are crunchy, it means that they are dry. So when you DC, make sure your ends are getting coated in it.

    I hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete