Follow Me!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

First Impressions: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Deep Treatment Masque




So I'm home for the holidays and I have A LOT of free time on my hands (and I do mean a lot!). As a result, I've been really into my hair because I don't have anything better to do. LOL

Last night, I tried a new product Shea Moisture Raw Shea Deep Treatment Masque. If you don't already know, the Shea Moisture line can be found in Target. Although the majority of the line is targeted towards the natural ladies (every other product talked about 'defining curls' and since I am relaxed, I figured that those products were not for me), I wanted to give this moisturizing DC a shot. Wintertime is really a time to up the moisture game and I wanted to see if this condish met the goal.

Price: $9.99+tax

Ingredients: deionized water, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), argan oil, cetyl esters, sea kelp extract, panthenol (vitamin b-5), ammonium salt, essential oil blend, avocado oil, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and lonicera japonica (japanese honeysuckle) flower extract, tocopherol (vitamin e), hyssopus officinalis extract, salvia officinalis (sage) leaf and equisetum arvense extract, soybean oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) seed oil.



Just looking at the ingredient list, you can't go wrong! It contains all the good stuff. It also does not contain any of the bad stuff--mineral oil, parabens, etc.) When I opened the product, it had a very thick consistency...very thick. It also has a very sweet smell....kind of like cake batter.

After washing my hair, I coated my hair with the condish, placed a shower cap on, and DCed using my heat cap for 40min. When I rinsed the condish out, my hair felt....a'ight (yes a'ight lol). Now, I will say that when it comes to moisturizing my hair, this DC met all expectations. My hair felt very moisturized. However, I am accustomed to using DCs that have incredible slip and sadly, this DC did not have the slip I am used to. I had to follow up with Silicon Mix just to get some slip!

Bottom Line: Will I repurchase? Maybe----only if I don't have any of my staples nearby. Although I left my hair wonderfully moisturized, you really don't get a lot of product for the price and it doesn't have a good amount of slip. If you must use it, I suggest following up with a DC that offers a good amount of slippage.

2 comments:

  1. I’m not too crazy about shea moisture products.. I guess because I haven’t had much luck? The shea moisture leave in smells nice to me though but I had the old bottle (product change? or just the labeling?)

    Cool review. No Target here in canada so who knows. perhaps you could mix some essential oil in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this stuff!! I picked it up when I *attempted* to buy Miss Jessies at my local target (I found a COMPLETELY empty shelf where the MJ should have been… and this was on the next shelf below haha!)

    It does work well as a leave in, not a lot of hold (I tried it with twists) but left my hair SUPER soft and fluffy. But the scent does linger a little, so if you’re not a fan you wouldn’t want to use it for that. I use this weekly as my deep treatment though, and it works great for me so far!

    Later kcurly!

    ReplyDelete