Follow Me!

Friday, February 25, 2011

A Method Revisited: Air Drying

Way back in March '08 when I started my hair journey, I air dried my hair (in addition to various other techniques lol). However, every time I would do that my hair would be a puffy, fluffy mess. So I began to not do it so often. Not when I first cut my hair and definitely not when I'm 10 weeks into a 12 week stretch. However, a few months ago, I began to notice that my hair can't take blow drying as well as I thought it could. I mean, if I blow dry every once in awhile my hair is ok but do to it after every wash? Yeah, my hair was NOT pleased.

So, with caution,I approached this air drying thing again. I have to admit that I was kinda scared b/c my hair is much longer and thicker than it was back in '08....if I don't air dry correctly the results could be catastrophic. Anyway, I had heard great things about the scarf method for air drying and after doing an exhaustive Youtube search about the method, I decided to give it a try.

Here's what you need:
-Your favorite leave-in
-A wide tooth comb
-Your favorite anti frizz serum (I use Fantasia IC Frizz Buster)
-Ponytail holder
-Scarf

Here's what you do:
-Section your hair into 4 parts
-Individually spray each section with your leave in then detangle with your wide tooth comb
-Apply the frizz serum (not too much! I use a quarter sized amount)
-Gather your hair into a a ponytail and secure it with a ponytail holder
-Tie on your scarf
-Let your hair dry (however much is up to you-you can wait til it's 80% dry or 100% dry or whatever floats your boat)


When your hair dries, it will not be puffy. Actually it will be pretty smooth and ready for whatever style you are gonna put it in.

So the moral of the story is this: air drying doesn't necessarily have to end with unruly hair. It's all about what products you use and what methods you use.

Awesomeness :)

2 comments:

  1. OK, so I am a year or so late on this, however I am glad I found your blog! I have been doing the blow dry too much of late and wanted to try the dry air thing again. I use the Frizz Buster, yet never when I air dry. Tonight will be my first time. And yes. I learned it is ALL about the products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! I cannot describe how much I appreciate these tips! I usually relax every 3 months because it's really expensive where I live (about 200 dollars)and I used to rely so much on my blowdryer and flat iron to take me through the last month or so. Now that I've decided to take my haircare seriously and started reading hairblogs, I can see a marked improvement in my hair. This comment is starting to sound like an infomercial so I'll stop singing praises now. Just want to say thanks for sharing your HHJ with us. I no longer have dry, brittle hair and I'm eagerly looking forward to some length.

    -Anonymee

    ReplyDelete