Follow Me!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Wash Day: July 13, 2013


Hey lovelies!

I know that this particular wash day post is super late but things have be hectic around here as of late. Anyway, I really wanted to get this wash day post up so that I can show how I wash my hair while it is in braid extensions. There is this horrible, horrible myth going around that you can't wash your hair while it is in braids (for some people this is 2+ months..so yeah). I'm here to say that a) that's disgusting and b) you can! One way that I typically keep my hair clean while it is in braids is to use ORS Herbal Cleanse. I find that when I'm pressed for time, this is the perfect way to ensure that my hair and scalp remains clean. Another method that you can use to really clean your hair is the stocking method. It is a great way to clean your braids without them getting frizzy or resulting in one or two of your braids slipping out.

So let's get to my wash day!


First, I diluted my Shea Moisture Moisture Retention shampoo in an applicator bottle (you can use a spray bottle if you want). I don't use exact measurements...I just wanted to make sure that there was more water than shampoo (tan bottle on the right). Diluting your shampoo makes the whole wash process easier and minimizes any build up you can potentially get from the shampoo. I then got a separate applicator bottle and diluted JessieCurl Deep Conditioner (had a sample just hanging around) with water (white bottle on the left).



I then placed a pair of old stocking on my head and tucked my braids underneath the cap.



>



Next, I took my bottle of diluted shampoo and saturated the stocking cap with it. I then proceeded to 'scrunch' the cap a bit (moved my fingers like I was washing my own hair) and produced a nice lather. I added a little water every now and again (I did this part in the shower) when I felt I needed it. When I was finished, I rinsed the shampoo from the cap (see pictures below).



I was in the mood to DC, so I grabbed my bottle of diluted deep conditioner and saturated my stocking cap with it. I then placed a plastic cap over the stocking cap and DCed using a heat cap for an hour or so. Afterwards, I rinsed the DC from the stocking cap and removed the stocking cap from my head.





Finally, I sprayed Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave in on my hair/ braids and let my braids fully dry. As you can see, my braids aren't frizzy and I didn't lose any braids in the process. What's most important, however, is that I washed my hair! Don't let anyone tell you that you have to let your hair be STANK and dirty just because you have braids! You can keep your hair clean...you just have to be a little creative! :)




12 comments:

  1. This was super helpful! I cannot wait to use this tip when I get braids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help! Just doing a brief search, I always see people talk about the method but there are no pictures/instructions on how to do it. I figured I would go ahead and outline this method.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen this done and looks like it yields great results! I'm gonna keep this in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just sent this to my friend with box braids. She's afraid to wash her braids because she doesn't want them to get frizzy.

    Great post!

    www.savingourstrands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her braids definitely won't get frizzy with this method! You should also suggest that she uses ORS Herbal Cleanse (which can be used on your scalp and braids) or Sea Breeze or witch hazel (for the scalp) so that she can at least keep her scalp clean if she is too worried about her braids frizzing up.

      Delete
  4. Ok so clearly I've been "gone" for a minute because I had no idea you had braids! LOVE THEM! Also, I have tried EXPLAINING this process to my mom SO many times that I've given up. I sent her an email with this link. Please don't ever delete this post, I swear the repetitive question every summer of how she can wash her hair nearly ruined our relationship! LMBO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Lol yeah I got my braids a few weeks ago once I realized that I had to have a committee mtg, write my dissertation, and defend all by the end of Sept! I needed a style that didn't need too much day to day attention.

      I'm glad I could help!! I did a google search of the stocking method and the best I could get was someone mentioning that they used it. I figured that a step by step pictorial may be helpful to more than a few people lol.

      Delete
  5. Wow, thanks for posting this. I enjoyed see the method you used to wash your braids. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is soooo helpful! I'm getting box braids in september and was contemplating how to wash them!

    ReplyDelete