Follow Me!

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday Chat: Products That Aren't Worth The Hype (Or The Price!)

Happy Sunday lovelies!


This particular Sunday Chat came from my recent experimentation with Miss Jessie's products. I was able to acquire a few free samples of the Super Sweetback Treatment, Curly Butter Creme, and Curly Meringue. Thus far, I have tried everything except the Curly Meringue.


And I am not impressed.


To start, these products smell sickeningly sweet. You are just overwhelmed with scent from the moment you open the packet. Then, for all that scent, the product performance is just...meh.There really wasn't anything about them that would make me run out and buy them.

Thank goodness I used free samples otherwise I would have been extremely upset. If you aren't familiar with Miss Jessie's products, just know that they are hella expensive! 16 oz of product can run you $48! $48 for a product that is made out of the same ingredients of most of the products seen in the ethnic hair care aisle in Walmart.Based on my experience with them, Miss Jessie's isn't worth the price.


Earlier in my hair journey, I had the same experience with Carol's Daughter. I fell for the hype of the product line and thought it would be the answer to my hair woes. Unfortunately, that was not to be. Those products cost way too much to not do anything for my hair.

But, it makes me wonder. How many of you had experiences with products that were overhyped and overpriced? Why did those products ever receive the hype in the first place?

11 comments:

  1. Great post!

    I honestly feel the same way about Carol's Daughter products too, I certainly own many of the similar products just for half the price. Biolage is another brand that did absolutely nothing for me and was far more expensive than I would've liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks to hear! I have been curious about the Biolage products but hearing that they don't live up to the hype, I may have to reconsider that!

      Delete
  2. I also ordered some of the samples. The super sweetback left much to be desired and I liked the baby buttercreme or whatever its called. Whats with the super long names?! I really liked the second one for my air dried hair and for my lil girl but im gonna purchase it whn its buy one get one free! And im gonna split the price of the first purchase with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you still aren't going to pay full price though! Miss Jessie's is definitely overpriced for no good reason!

      Delete
  3. ITA with you and Jenna about the Carol's Daughter's products. I tried a few such as the Black Vanilla and the Tui and it did nothing for my hair. It actually made it very dry and rough. Luckily, I purchased from Sephora and they allowed me to return the items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See I wished I did that. I ordered my CD product directly from the CD website. I was so mad! I used up those products as fast as I could and never repurchased. Such a waste of money!

      Delete
  4. I love this post! I may do my own version. Never tried any of Miss Jessie's but I used to love CD wayyyyy back when they had just a shop up in Harlem, don't care for their hair products these days though. Honestly, I feel like I've been lucky - things that I've spent a bit more on have totally been awesome products. My Bee Mine moisturizers and Jane Carter Nourish & Shine. I will say Aveda isn't worth the money for me, I think that's it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try the Aveda Damage Remedy. However, the way I go through conditioner.....the price would just add up way too quickly smh.

      It's good you have shelled out money for quality products. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to drop big bucks for crap products lol.

      Delete
  5. Overhyped and overpriced - Dr Miracle's products. They cost a pretty penny and I tried it on the recommendation of a colleague who's hair is BSL, but it was the biggest mistake EVER. the Anti Breakage cream CAUSED breakage and shedding, the leave in made my freshly relaxed hair hard and rough and the DC had NO slip and did not leave my hair feeling moisturized at all. I was so sad, because the money was spent and afterwards I had to baby my hair back. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I wish I could have stopped you! Dr. Miracle's products are TERRIBLE!! Just junk in a container. I have never heard anything good about it. I'm so sorry you spent all that money on a crap product.

      Delete
  6. Much thanks to you for giving such significant data, and a debt of gratitude is for sharing this Business Promotion system.
    Thanks so much for the site, I found a lot of useful information for us.

    ReplyDelete