Follow Me!

Friday, October 28, 2011

My Return to the Hot Oil Treatment

I have to admit. I slacked off on my hair last week. I just didn't feel like washing it.

Unfortunately, my hair felt some kind of way about that, particularly my roots. They were dry and just BEGGING for some moisture in their life. So, I decided to do a hot oil treatment. I haven't done a hot oil treatment in a lonnnnnnnng time. I think the last time I did one, it was at the beginning of my healthy hair journey and was testing various techniques. Let me remind you that I started my HHJ back in '08 so..........yeah.


Anyway, for my hot oil treatment, I finished off my bottle of Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil (I've had that bottle FOREVER. I don't even remember why I bought it. I promise I don't). This oil is mixture of oils and includes castor oil, sweet almond oil,jojoba oil, carrot oil, and safflower oil. I also used extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) which I had in my kitchen. I placed both oils in a bottle with an applicator tip ( makes for easy application....trust me on this one) and warmed it up. I take extra care to not heat my hot oil treatment to boiling. I want it to be warm...not scalding. I basically heat up some water and place my bottle in the water for about 5 min, then apply.


After applying to my hair, I put on a plastic cap and sat under a heat cap for about 20minutes. I had intended to sit for an hour but oil was running down my face and neck...I looked like an oil slick! Well, it turns out that 20min was all I needed! I rinsed my hair out and proceeded with my wash routine.


I have to say that my hair definitely needed that hot oil treatment. It made my hair (my roots especially) so soft. This may have to be something that I incorporate into my routine as I continue my stretch. This past Thursday I hit 13 weeks post and my hair is definitely a jungle right now. I'm not sure when I will relax my hair again because I have been wearing wigs and just hardcore protective styling. Right now I'm just all about getting my hair the moisture it needs.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE hot oil treatments and I usually bring them out around the winter time when my hair needs all the moisture it can handle. When stretching, try doing one overnight with EVCO. It makes the NG super soft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely give it a try! Where can I purchase the EVCO? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a farmers market in your area, try there. You can get a huge tub of organic EVCO for next to nothing and you don't have to pay for shipping. If not, try online stores Puritan's Pride or Vitacost. You can also get some from the Vitamin Shoppe but it is way more expensive. HTH!

    ReplyDelete